(Image from Chinese Zodiac)
2012 is the year of the Water Dragon, which is touted to be a year of major transformation and change. Now fashion is all about transformation and change, so what are some of the ways we can improve our luck (and design our life) on this auspicious year using fashion? Here are a few things to do before we enter the Year of the Dragon on January 23:
1. Space clear your closets – Space clearing is not only for your home. Clear out old fashion (read: clothes & shoes you haven’t worn in the last 6-8 months) to make space for new items that reflect the current version of you. Freshen up musky smells by airing your closet and placing satchels of sandalwood in closet corners.
2. Get a haircut – The best time to get a new haircut is before the new year. Get rid of tired, old ends and literally lighten up with a fresh style. The Dragon Year brings in confident, vibrant energy so reflecting that in your hair is an easy start. And while you’re at it, go ahead & color your hair a fiery (& lucky) shade of auburn.
3. Try something new – Why not try something new everyday? Whether it’s something small, like a new (dragon inspired?) accessory, or something significant, like a fiery new career, trying something new gets us out of our old rut. By the end of 2012, that would at least have been 365 new things that you’ve experienced.
4. Wear your colors – Different colors affect our energies in different ways. This season’s love affair with colors makes it easier to have fun and experiment with the different hues and how they enhance our moods. Fiery shades like this year’s fashion favorite, tangerine (red-orange), as well as other hot colors like red & pink attract luck in the Year of the Dragon.
5. Do something creative – Fashion is not just for those special ‘dress-up’ occasions. Everyday fashion is a way of expressing yourself, so try wearing a t-shirt…as a dress. Or wear a tailored printed long-sleeved shirt…bought at the boy’s department. Make the ordinary extra-ordinary with a little added creativity.
These are just a few ways to bring on the positive transformation and luck this 2012…if you have any fashion rituals that invite good vibes into your life, feel free to share them with me! 🙂